Sunday, November 25, 2012

All Creatures Great and Small


Ganesh and Me, along with some friends
I went to the movies over the weekend and saw "The Life of Pi", which is an allegorical story about the journey of a young man searching for God and the meaning of life. The use of animal imagery has been used for ages in both literature and cinema. In the movie, Pi ultimately found meaning to his life and reconciled his relationship with God. For a person to find the meaning of life at such a young age is remarkable, as most people often take years, or lifetimes, to reach this goal. But, coming on the heels of Thanksgiving Day, the movie made me think about my own life and the spiritual path I follow. In my life, 2012 marks a milestone 40 years in my working career, for which I am constantly grateful especially in the current economy.  

Pi used a Zebra, Orangutan, Hyena and Bengal Tiger to tell his story of redemption. Over the course of my life, I have owned a dog and a cat. Both have taught me valuable lessons. My cat, especially, taught me the patience needed in my practice of meditation. The dog, not so much, but there is a saying that "they also serve that stand and wait", and my dog always loyally stood by my side. However, in my personal spiritual pantheon, there exist two prominent personal dieties that I hold dear. When it comes to my success, I have often turned to Ganesh and Mooshika as my personal inspiration for endurance and resourcefulness. Ganesh, the elephant, has the strength and endurance to overcome all obstacles. Mooshika, the mouse, has the focus and resourcefulness to gain access to even the most minute and private spaces.

Just the other day, an esteemed colleague of mine even commented that she saw herself as an elephant, able to surmount the obstacles of life, along with the ability to never forget. Such attributes have also served me well and are embodied in Ganesh. The ability to remain focused on the small, intricate problems is the domain of Mooshika, and I don't ever undervalue this ability. I equate this as the "big picture" and "detail-oriented" parts of my working career. True success comes to a person who possesses both abilities. The ability to toggle between the two permits me to multi-task and succeed at a faster rate. I smile whenever I gaze upon my dancing Ganesh and his little helper Mooshika.


Each one of us has our own path and our own story of redemption. The main thing is to remain faithful to our own chosen path and to never give up in our quest for the meaning of life. Once you find your True North, so to speak, you will find that life will get easier and you will be able to retain incredible focus. The most important thing to remember is not to fall victim to the criticism of others, but to follow the intuition of your heart and soul. After all, your ultimate goal is to follow your bliss! Ganesh and Mooshika have helped me, perhaps they can also be an inspiration to you! 

Blessings! 

Alfred Voto, M.Msc.  


No comments: